Monday, February 9, 2009

birds of a feather

I've talked before about how much enjoy meeting new artists when I'm exhibiting at a trade show with Cecily Ink. Well, last month I had the distinct pleasure of spending four days across the isle from CJ Hockett, one of the most amazing wildlife photographers ever!


I've been meaning to post about CJ's work because I now am the proud owner of one of his beautiful bird prints. Rather than wait until I find the perfect frame to show it off, I decided I'd share his talents with you now.


All these gorgeous images were taken by CJ with his mega-sized telephoto lens. I especially love the strong, graphic composition of his shots and the often monochromatic color palette. Plus, some of his images have this wonderful watercolor-like quality that makes you wonder whether it's a photo or a painting.


While he specializes in birds (photographing a lot of his subjects right in his backyard on Whidbey Island, WA), CJ has captured a variety of wildlife, mostly native to the Northwest and Alaska.


If you live in Portland, you can find his work at the Audubon Society of Portland. If you call Seattle home, keep your eyes peeled for local art shows where you're sure to find CJ and his wonderful wife Renee displaying his art. Or check out his website for the full visual feast!


CJ HOCKETT PHOTOGRAPHY
www.cjhocket.com • 360.720.2019

No comments: