Monday, May 26, 2008

Honoring my namesakes

People often call me Cecily instead of Alex. I rather like being called Cecily. It reminds me of the reason why I picked this name: my grandmother's name is Ceciel, which also happens to be my mother's middle name (along with Antoinette), one of my middle names (along with Hendrika), and one of my sister's (Marie-Cécile).

Being called Cecily makes me miss the Netherlands, where I spent a large part of my childhood. I don't go back very often but my mother flies out to visit my grandmother every Mother's Day.


This year was no exception, and I love these two photos that she just emailed me: on the left, my mother and grandmother, on the right my sister Claire in my grandmother's courtyard with four giant Mother's Day bouquets fresh from the farmers market just a few blocks down the street. I wish you all belated Happy Mother's Day – to my mom, my grandmother and moms everywhere!

No comments: